California is known for its sunny skies, beautiful beaches, and laid-back lifestyle. People from all over the world flock to the Golden State to bask in its beauty and soak up its culture. But when it comes to fashion, California has a few unique rules that need to be followed. Whether you’re planning a visit or just want to look like a local, here’s what not to wear in California.
What Not To Wear In California
Avoid Heavy Layering and Fabrics
With an average summer temperature of 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll want to avoid heavy layering when it comes to clothing. Instead of bulky sweaters and thick jeans, opt for light fabrics like cotton or linen that will keep you cool in the heat. If you’re planning on spending time outdoors, choose breathable fabrics that won’t stick to your skin in the sun. Also, avoid wearing synthetic materials like polyester or nylon as they tend to retain heat and cause discomfort in the hot weather.
Leave Your Fur Coats at Home
Fur coats are a definite no-no when it comes to California fashion. In addition to being environmentally unfriendly, fur is frowned upon by most Californians. Not only is it seen as cruel and unnecessary, but it’s also considered a bit gauche and outdated in this day and age. If you want to keep warm during cold winter days, opt for a thick wool coat instead of a fur one.
Say Goodbye To UGGs
UGGs have been popular around the world for years now but they haven’t gained much traction in California. This is largely due to the fact that California residents prefer stylish shoes over comfort ones—which UGGs undoubtedly are not! Instead of UGGs, opt for sandals, wedges, loafers or sneakers that will make your outfit look more fashionable and appropriate for the California climate.
Don’t Overdo It With Accessories
When it comes to accessories in California, less is definitely more! Overly flashy jewelry pieces and designer bags may look great in some places but they’ll make you stand out like a sore thumb in California’s laid-back culture. Instead of going overboard with accessories, focus on one statement piece that will draw attention without being too ostentatious—like a great pair of sunnies or a stylish watch!
Steer Clear Of Graphic Tees
Graphic tees have become increasingly popular over the last few years but they’re still considered tacky by many Californians. Sure, they may be comfortable but they don’t do much for your style points! Instead of graphic tees, opt for simple t-shirts with subtle logos or designs that won’t detract from your overall look.
Don’t Forget Sun Protection
Many people don’t realize how important sunscreen is until they experience their first sunburn! The sun can be especially harsh in California so make sure you apply sunscreen before leaving the house every day—even if it’s cloudy outside! Also, try to wear protective clothing such as wide-brimmed hats or long sleeves when spending extended periods of time outdoors as this will help protect your skin from UV radiation damage.
What To Wear In California
The Basics: Layering is key
No matter what season you’re visiting California, layering is essential. This will allow you to adjust your clothing based on temperatures throughout the day and between different locations. The key pieces for layering include:
- Lightweight t-shirts – Choose t-shirts made from breathable fabrics like cotton or linen. They’re perfect for keeping cool when temperatures rise during the day.
- Long sleeve tops – These are great for adding an extra layer of warmth when temperatures drop, especially during cooler evenings. Choose lightweight materials like jersey or flannel that won’t be too bulky.
- Sweaters and jackets – Sweaters and jackets are essential for protecting against chilly nights and brisk mornings. Look for styles made from wool, fleece or down that will keep you warm without weighing you down.
- Scarves – Scarves are great for adding texture and style to any outfit while also providing an extra layer of protection against cold winds. Choose thicker fabrics like wool or cashmere in neutral colors so they can be easily paired with any outfit.
Summer Clothing in California
When summer arrives in California, temperatures can reach up to 90F (32C) in some areas. In these conditions, lightweight fabrics are essential to staying cool while still looking stylish. Here are some items to include in your summer wardrobe:
- Tank tops – These are perfect for keeping cool in hot weather and come in a variety of styles from casual racerbacks to more formal sleeveless blouses. Choose breathable materials like linen or cotton for maximum comfort during hot days.
- Shorts – Shorts are great for keeping cool during warm days but also look stylish when paired with a blouse or tank top. Try pairing patterned shorts with a solid color top for a fun summer look!
- Sandals – Sandals are essential for beating the heat during summer days in California. Look for styles made from breathable materials like leather or canvas so your feet won’t overheat while walking around town!
Fall Clothing in California
In autumn, temperatures tend to stay mild but can still fluctuate throughout the day. Layering is still key so you can adjust based on temperatures throughout the day and between different locations. Here are some additional items to add to your fall wardrobe:
- Jeans – Jeans are perfect for staying warm during cooler days but still looking stylish. Try darker washes like black or indigo as they tend to be more versatile and look best when paired with other seasonal colors such as rusts and browns.
- Hoodies – Hoodies are great as an extra layer of warmth on cool days but also look stylish when paired with jeans or trousers. Choose lightweight materials like cotton or fleece so they won’t add too much bulk but still provide enough warmth when needed!
- Scarves & Hats – These accessories are perfect for adding texture and style to any outfit while also providing an extra layer of protection against cold winds or rainy days. Choose thicker fabrics like wool or cashmere in neutral colors so they can be easily paired with any outfit!
Winter Clothing in California
California winters tend to be mild compared to other parts of the country, but it’s still important to dress warmly when out and about as temperatures can still drop significantly at night and early morning hours! Here are some items that should definitely be included in your winter wardrobe:
- Heavy Coats – A heavy coat is essential for keeping warm during winter months in California as temperatures can dip below freezing at times! Look for styles made from wool, down, or synthetic fillers that will keep you warm without weighing you down too much!
- Boots – Boots should be waterproof if possible as rain showers can occur throughout winter months in California! Look for styles that have traction on the sole so you don’t slip on wet surfaces!
- Gloves & Hats – Gloves and hats are great accessories that will help keep your hands and head warm while also adding texture and style to any outfit! Choose thicker fabrics like wool or cashmere that will provide plenty of insulation without being too bulky!
How Do Females Dress in California?
When it comes to fashion, California is one of the most trendsetting states in the United States. Whether it’s Los Angeles, San Francisco, or anywhere in between, California women have a unique sense of style that sets them apart from the rest of the country. From designer labels to beachy boho ensembles, there’s no shortage of fashion for women in California. Here’s a look at how females dress in California and what’s currently trending:
California women love their designer labels and they aren’t afraid to show them off. From high-end department stores to independent boutiques, you can find designer labels everywhere you look. Whether it’s Gucci, Prada, or Saint Laurent, there are plenty of options for high-end fashionistas. In addition to traditional clothing pieces like dresses and blouses, accessories like handbags and jewelry are also popular with California women.
California girls love their streetwear too. From athleisure to graphic tees, streetwear is a staple for many California women. While some opt for more subtle looks with neutral colors and classic silhouettes, others go all out with bright colors and bold patterns. Popular streetwear brands like Supreme, Nike, and Adidas are always popular choices for the California girl on the go.
When you think of California fashion, beachy boho is probably one of the first things that comes to mind. From flowy maxi dresses to denim shorts and sandals, this laidback style is perfect for warm days spent at the beach or strolling down the boardwalk. Natural fabrics like cotton and linen are popular choices when it comes to beachy boho pieces. Layering with simple jewelry is also a great way to finish off this look.
Although workwear isn’t always associated with California style, many women in the state do opt for polished office looks when heading into work each day. Blazers, trousers, skirtsuits – these are all staples when it comes to workwear in California. Many businesses embrace casual dress codes as well so jeans and nice tops are also acceptable choices for office attire in some cases.
Vintage clothing is another big trend among female Californians. With an abundance of thrift stores and vintage shops throughout the state, there’s no shortage of options when it comes to finding unique vintage pieces. Whether you’re looking for something from a particular decade or just something unique that stands out from the crowd, you can find it in California.
Last but not least is festival wear – one of the most popular trends among female Californians right now! From fringe and tie dye to statement headpieces and body chains, festival wear has taken over the streets of California recently! Whether you’re attending Coachella or just hanging out with friends on the weekend, festival wear is an easy way to make a statement without going overboard.
Originally posted 2022-12-26 09:35:41.